Addiction recovery doesn’t happen overnight. Even after you complete an inpatient rehab program, you may still require ongoing support to sustain your sobriety. After all, making the transition back to daily life in sobriety means new responsibilities, triggers, stressors, and other obstacles that could lead to relapse. Enrolling in a day treatment program in New Jersey can help you make the transition out of inpatient rehab by providing you with continued intensive support.
What is Day Treatment?
Day treatment, sometimes called partial hospitalization or PHP, is a step down from residential treatment but a step up from outpatient care. In terms of intensity and time commitment, it falls directly between inpatient rehab and IOP. The only difference between day treatment and inpatient rehab is that you don’t have to live at the treatment facility. You are able to return home at the end of the therapy day.
In terms of scheduling, day treatment is similar to a full-time Monday-Friday job. You are able to live at home and have freedom in the evening and on weekends, but you spend 5-8 hours each day during the week participating in therapy. This level of care provides you with the opportunity to practice new coping skills for sobriety with the help of a structured treatment program.
You may qualify for a day program if you:
- Feel ready to make the transition out of inpatient rehab
- Do not meet the diagnostic requirements for residential care
- Have relapsed and need a refresher
- Are self-motivated to continue your recovery
- Have access to stable, supportive housing
- Don’t require 24/7 monitoring and supervision
What is Therapy Like During Day Treatment in New Jersey?
The therapy provided during day treatment is the same as the therapy you receive in inpatient treatment. An example of a typical day in rehab is as follows:
- Arrive at the rehab facility for check-in
- Small morning group session (usually behavioral therapy)
- Small to medium-sized group session (usually a specialized therapy group such as gender-specific treatment, family systems therapy, relapse prevention group, etc.)
- Short break
- Another small group, educational session, or individual therapy session
- Check out and return home for the day
You will also have 1-2 individual therapy sessions each week where you work one-on-one with your substance abuse counselor to monitor your progress and goals. You should expect to be randomly drug tested at least once per week while in PHP.
What Services Are Offered by Day Treatment Programs in New Jersey?
Day treatment in New Jersey may offer additional services aside from group and individual therapy. As a highly intensive form of addiction treatment, day programs are able to offer comprehensive care ranging from medication management to vocational training. As a stepping stone from an even higher level of care, it’s important that these programs can offer the resources needed for patients to be successful in sobriety.
Services offered during day rehab include:
- Case management
- Vocational training
- Medication-assisted treatment (MAT)/medication management
- Family therapy services
- Life skills training
- 12-Step facilitation
The Benefits of Day Treatment
Early sobriety is full of both challenges and rewards. It is a time during which you will go through a number of changes, and having ongoing guidance can give you an extra layer of support. The purpose of day programs is to help clients have a smooth transition from inpatient rehab to a lower level of care by preparing them to live sober in the real world.
Day rehab uses the same therapeutic tools as inpatient rehab and can be just as effective. It is also cheaper than residential care because you don’t have to pay for the costs associated with housing, monitoring, and staffing.
Benefits of choosing a day program include:
- Lower cost than inpatient rehab
- Learn relapse prevention strategies and have the ability to practice them
- Individualized care and services but with more flexibility than a higher level of care
- Get treatment for co-occurring mental health conditions like depression or anxiety
- Meet peers in recovery and connect with them through group therapy
- Learn about community-related recovery resources in your area
Find a Day Treatment Program for Mental Health and Addiction in New Jersey Today
Treatment for addiction can be delivered in varying intensities, durations, and frequencies. Whether you attend inpatient rehab or not, day treatment is likely to be part of your full addiction treatment program and continuum of care. It can help you embrace sobriety while living in the real world by giving you the opportunity to practice your coping skills in real-life situations with guidance and support.
Here at New Jersey Addiction Intervention, our trusted drug and alcohol counselors can evaluate your needs, verify your insurance, and learn about your treatment goals to help you find the right treatment program for you. If you or a loved one are struggling with addiction and ready to begin your recovery journey, give us a call today.
Medically Reviewed: October 13, 2021
All of the information on this page has been reviewed and verified by a certified addiction professional.